1. Stayed at Mayura River view, or Karnataka Holidays, Srirangapatna. Very nice place, overlooking the river cauvery. Food is not that good. Value for money. You can book online. Cottages are really good.
This Mayura River view is very good for relaxing. During our stay on one of the days, we had a very heavy lunch and then dozed off for a while. Once we got up, I was amazed to see around 150 people waiting outside my cottage. I was wondering if people misunderstood me to be someone influential. Only later I realized that the crowd was for Karnataka home minister R Ashok who had come to the resort for lunch. I had not brought that many business cards as well. From next time I will make it a point to carry more business cards.
2. Brindavan Gardens musical fountain is wonderful.
3. Chamundi hills and sunset is great as usual. Mysore palace looks gorgeous at night with the special lighting. I am not very sure if its there in all evenings.
We went on a Saturday evening (Between 7 to 7.30 PM. Lights were turned off at 7.30 PM).
4. Ranganathittu is good. Apart from the boating, even other areas within the sanctuary is good for bird watching. Dont worry about the couples who are hidden behind shady areas. Even birds don’t go there. We even spotted a kingfisher close to the parking.
5. There is a huge huge water tank called Thonnur Kere somewhere near Pandavapura (From SH17 take left after srirangapatna while going towards bangalore. Once you reach Pandavapura ask people for banghetta cross and take left there. You can follow the typical bangalorean directions of straigghtt hogi(Which means go for 10 kms by asking people every 1 km if you are on the right track, dead end means t junction etc).
Its a must visit place for people who love old temples (Krishna and Yoganarasimha temples), lovely paddy fields and this water body and lots of birds(Look at the blue bird in the photos above). But better be prepared to watch the mass bathing and diving ritual of fat indian men. In fact some families do group bathing following the kattoadu kuzhalaada aada (Tamil sentence which means something funny) sequence
Entire set of photos available here.