I have seen lots of people rave about Airtel Supersinger (Senior, junior, subjunior etc). Initially I was also impressed by the programme and the quality of the singers. But later I realized it is also a mega serial. Some of the reasons this programme is pathetic are below
1. It never ends. We are in March 2009, and ‘Airtel Supersinger 2008’ is going on.
2. No one gets rejected. You can get rejected, and later come back as wild card, get re-rejected, get another wild wild card, get re re re rejected and so on.
3. How many rounds? Organizers are breaking their head to come up with new rounds. I won’t be surprised if they start a new round called as ‘yawn round’ in which they ask the singers to yawn. And the person whose yawn resembles closest to that of a fox howling is termed as the winner.
4. Drama. More than the talent of the singers the focus is always on ‘Why chinmayi is not hosting the show any more?’
5. Raginishree. What on earth is the controversy surrounding her? Why so much attention on her?
6. In what way it is different from Kolangal or Arasi? One guy was almost eliminated in western round. But he was given a second chance. But to see if he is good, all the people who had already qualified were asked to sing again. I think even K Balachandar’s movie relationships are clearer than the rules for Airtel Supersinger
7. Compering. Stupid accent. Calling everyone ji. I ji got ji bore ji of ji seeing ji everyone ji being ji referred ji as ji ji.
I think watching Sundar C scream ‘Hindustan petroleum la Hindukaluku mattum dhaan petrol podraangala’ once in 15 minutes is more entertaining than watching Airtel SuperSinger.